
Sis, P. (2007). The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain. New York: Frances Foster Books.
Peter Sis is one of my favorite artists and illustrators - I just love him. The Wall is a Caldecott Honor Book. It is a combination of a picture book and a historical novel. One of the other interesting things is that there is a journal of Sis' personal experience. This is a great book for all ages. I am going to use it in sixth grade Social Studies because we do a big Berlin Wall project when we study Europe.
Peter Sis is one of my favorite artists and illustrators - I just love him. The Wall is a Caldecott Honor Book. It is a combination of a picture book and a historical novel. One of the other interesting things is that there is a journal of Sis' personal experience. This is a great book for all ages. I am going to use it in sixth grade Social Studies because we do a big Berlin Wall project when we study Europe.
Another book by Peter Sis that is great to use with middle school students is The Tree of Life. Part of the Georgia Standards in seventh grade science include evolution and survival of the fittest. Using a picture book to help teach about Charles Darwin and his voyage. I would also use this book when teaching about scientists or important historical figures. This book contains lots of maps, sketches, and pictures. It tells the story of Darwin's life in a very kid-friendly way.

No comments:
Post a Comment